Red blood cell count could be brought on by different factors. Knowing how to enhance red blood cells can imply eating various foods and taking supplements. However sometimes there are underlying causes for the issue, which means you have to speak to a physician.
Red blood cells, also known as erythrocytes, are the most common blood cells in the body. In fact, about a quarter of all cells in the body are red blood cells. Their main function is to bring oxygen to all tissues of the body, getting the oxygen from the lungs and releasing it as they get in the capillaries. Over 2.4 million new red blood cells are produced every 2nd, and they endure in the body for as much as 120 days.
How to Increase Red Blood Cells in Your Body?
There are many factors that your red cell count could be too low. The most typical reasons include anemia, bone marrow failure, malnutrition, leukemia, hemolysis due to transfusions or injury to the blood vessels, being too hydrated, nutritional deficiencies, or perhaps pregnancy. There are some drugs that can likewise reduce your red blood cell counts, including a number of cancer drugs.
Thankfully, there are several methods to increase the red blood cell count in your body.
Foods to Increase Red Blood Cells
Consuming the right foods can help enhance the variety of red blood cells in your body. Here are a few of the ways you can eat your method to much better blood cell health:
- Iron. Food rich in iron can assist your body reconstruct what it has lost. Lentils and legumes are a great way to obtain the iron you need and they are healthy for you in many other ways, too.
- Copper. This crucial mineral can be found in lots of foods, including shellfish, poultry, liver, entire grains, beans, cherries, chocolate and nuts.
- Folic Acid. Long called a terrific help for pregnant and nursing mothers, foods which contain folic acid consist of lentils, dark green leafy vegetables, blackeyed peas and cereals fortified with folic acid.
- Vitamin A. This extremely important vitamin can be discovered in a multitude of fruits, including grapefruit, mango, watermelon, plums, cantaloupe and apricots.
- Vitamin B12. Meat, eggs and strengthened cereals are a great method to obtain a lot of B12 in your diet. Because those on a western diet get plenty of this, a lack of B12 is unusual.
- Vitamin B6. This vitamin is found in a wide variety of foods, consisting of meats, entire grains and bran, nuts and seeds, fish, vegetables and legumes.
Supplements to Increase Red Blood Cells
Often diet isn’t adequate to enhance red blood cells. In that case, counting on supplements can assist your body produce the red blood cells it requires. Here are a few choices:
- Iron. This is an essential nutrient that your blood cells have to operate properly. Women require 18 mg and men require 8 mg of iron daily.
- Vitamin B12. Originated from primarily animal foods, B12 can be lacking in vegetarians. Everybody needs 2.4 mcg each day, and a supplement can provide most of that.
- Vitamin B6. Women need 1.5 mg of this vitamin every day, while men require a bit more at 1.7 mg. A supplement can offer this, and you can improve the intake with baked potatoes, bananas and fish.
- Vitamin E. This vitamin is outstanding for good health, including red cell. Everyone needs about 15 mg of this each day. Nevertheless, supplements might supply a lot more than that, so speak with your doctor about whether that is all right for you.
Lifestyle Changes to Increase Red Blood Cells
There are a couple of way of life modifications you can try that might keep your red cell count going strong. Here are a couple of that you can attempt right now:
- Exercises. Excellent quantities of exercise make the body usage more oxygen, which demands more red blood cell production. This is particularly reliable if you live at a high altitude. But remember that you have to have specific vitamins in order to make this work, especially B12 and B6, so make sure to get plenty of them in your diet.
- Cut off Certain Things. Keep in mind that some medications can trigger lower red blood cell counts, therefore can excessive alcohol consumption. For example, if you have been diagnosed with thrombocytopenia– low amounts of platelets in the blood– you may want to prevent aspirin and alcohol.
Medical Ways to Increase Red Blood Cells
What if you have tried a diet rich in the nutrients required, and you have also taken supplements, but your red blood cell count remains low? Because case, it might be time for medical intervention. Remember that this is typically a last hope, and a lot of doctors will only go this path if your deficiencies in red blood cells are substantial.
- Medications. Antibiotics for infections, drugs that assist combat auto-immune disorders and hormones that control menstrual bleeding are a few of the methods medications can help ease the issue.
- Surgery. If low red blood cell counts are being triggered by physical conditions, surgery may assist. Removal of the spleen, eliminating tumors or treating bleeding ulcers can all help enhance your red cell count.
- Blood Transfusions. A transfusion of jam-packed red blood cells can assist your body bring oxygen, in addition to help control bleeding and high blood pressure.
- Erythropoietin. This hormonal agent stimulates the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. This is frequently utilized for people who are experiencing kidney failure or going through chemotherapy treatment.
These ideas and techniques can help you enhance red cell production; however, if none of them appear to work well or you are dealing with symptoms, talk to a doctor about the condition. From there, you can determine what you need to spur production of red cell, as well as rule out any medical conditions that need more intense treatment.